home about us email printables

April 4, 2011

DIY Barbie House

         Hey ladies, hope your week is going great so far! Today I wanted to share the DIY doll house the hubs made our little princess. This barbie house gets SO much use. She plays with it all the time, it made all the hours making it pure heaven to see her enjoy it.  Even her brothers have used it much to her protest! Some where along the lines they decided its cool for cars to roll off the second story and the decks. It's funny to see how different they place with  it, I love it!
             It started out from a tree from my in laws property. They have 26 acres. The tree was cut down, dried, and ran through a saw mill they have. Then I got busy figuring out a fun layout, and the hubs started out on the build.

This was the frame



Then he added roof shingles that were left over from when we had to redo our roof forever ago. Its nice to use what you already have. Plus, it helped it look like more authentic.




This part of adding the siding piece by piece was definitely the longest! I know he thought at one point he was never going to finish this part, but it was ohhh so worth it!


 My friend told me about a small family owned carpet store that would give you free carpet squares they didn't need. So off I went. We ended up with such varied colors but she loves it.




It's hard to tell from the picture but its about 5 feet tall. 



The hubs even made stairs leading from the garage to the house, cause that will totally make life easier for Barbie to get in the house when she has on those high heels of hers!


Are you on picture over load yet?
So that's our DIY barbie house. It hardly cost a thing, which makes it even more fun. We used our in laws amazing wood from their property, (thank you, guys!!) got free carpet squares and only had to buy a bit of paint.
 I must admit the boys aren't the only ones that sneak and play with it.  (wink wink)


Post Script: We have had lots of request for the plans for the Barbie House. We didnt use any specific "plans" to make it. We really based the room size around the carpet squares we got. But here are the measurments of the house.  Hope this helps some. We would love to see pictures if any of you make one. You can use the email address listed at the top of our blog!
 Happy Building!

Here's the measurements:
The outer shell of the house it self; 38w x20d x 60h
The room sizes are; 19w x 20d x 15h
The top two decks are 12w x 20d
The bottom deck my daughter uses as a garage because Barbie has to have a garage, right :) That measures 13w x 20d x 15h


THANKS FOR VISITING!  
Don't forget to follow, so you can get updates on our next project.




Momnivors Dilemma  Finding Fabulous
Naptime Crafters










PhotobucketTip Junkie handmade projects



28 comments:

  1. fabulous! I love it. Would be neat to see a picture of a Barbie inside of it as a size-reference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzers! That is one amazing Barbie house, great job! I wish I had a little girl so we could have one of those. :) Thanks for visiting and your sweet comments on my clipboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That house is amazing! My girls would love one of those - I did think about attempting one, but after trying a little basic woodwork - decided I'm better sticking with sewing!

    I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
    Have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you be willing to share your dimensions? I would love to be able to make this for my daughter too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this! I had a homemade barbie house when I was little that my dad made....makes me miss it! I wanted one for my girls to but am not quite so talented. Your little girl will treasure this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deanna,
    Thanks for your comments! :) I would be happy to post those dimensions, I will get those from my hubby this week and post them. Email me and I can give you more specifics and details if you'd like. :)

    Thanks for visiting.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. What little girl would not treasure this! Such an amazing job, awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm willing to pay for the specs! Way to awesome to get those for free!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so great! Please share this on my blog today, I think people would love to see your husband's talent!!! :) Heather, http://500dollarwedding.blogspot.com/2011/04/friday-fun-day-bug.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a special doll house. Your daughter is very lucky to have talented parents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! Amazing detail! You're daughter is very lucky. Dana @ D'Lea Designs

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so FUN! I love it, that would be such a rewarding DIY project!! Im amazed with you and your hubby's skill!! Thanks so much for linking up to Try it Tuesday at DotDotDot! I will be featuring this today!! Have a happy Monday!
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! Unreal the story that goes with this, what a great heirloom, after they are done playing with it!

    Thanks for sharing, I hope you stop by the party again!
    http://itssewforyou.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have died for that as a little girl...

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice! Hope to see you back this week

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMGosh, this is AMAZING! My daughter would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have this!!! I would've killed for it when I was a kid. How cool.

    Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see what you do next! I'm a new follower!

    Krystal,
    http://www.krystalskreativity.blogspot.com
    kreative.krystal at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. the picture of your siding just made my life 500% easier. now i have a picture to show the husband of the type of siding i need for the barbie house re-do for our daughter. i was starting to get a headache. thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The picture of your siding just made my life 500% easier. Now I have a picture to show my husband of what i wanted for our barbie house re-do for our daughter. you have saved me from a huge headache. i was starting to go crazy. (fist pump)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your ideas and projects. So creative! If you'd like to list your blog in our blog directory it's free! Find us at 500dollarwedding.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! Could I find out the measurements of the rooms? I want to make one for my three yr old!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My wife and I loved the house so much that we tried to build one for our 3 y/o granddaughter for her birthday recently. I don't know if you are still monitoring this thread, but we'd love to share some of the pics with you to show you how your work made a little girl very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My wife and I loved the house so much that we tried to build one for our 3 y/o granddaughter's birthday recently. We would love to share some pics of it with you guys to show you how you inspired our project and made a little girl very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Don, My husband and I would LOVE to see your finished project of the Barbie house you made for your granddaughters birthday!! I bet she will have many fond memories growing up playing with it! What a specail gift!! Way to go!! I can't wait to see it. On the top of our blog is a tab labeled email-you can send those pictures to the email listed. Can't wait to see them!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, would love to make this for my daughter in time for Christmas. This is by far the best Barbie house I've seen. Would it be possible for you to send me detailed dimensions for the dollhouse :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angelica,
      What a fun Christmas gift! We didn't use any specific plans for the Barbie house. We really just built it around the free carpet squares we got. The dimensions of the rooms are listed on the post. I hope that helps some. I would love to see what you all build when your done!! Happy Building and Crafting!! Thanks for visiting!

      Jenn

      Delete
  24. Hi, thanks for the reply, here (South Africa) wood is cheap, a dollhouse is a fortune. So I'm taking the obvious route in building one. With the help of your pics and dimensions I should come right, will post some pics when I'm done. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I also built a house for my granddaughter. That was the most fun I've had creating anything. I tried to make it as real as possible. You can get so much stuff online such as, wallpaper, flooring, pictures to frame, food. I wish I could post pics but I'm not sure how to do it. Everyone should at least try to build one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Didn't see your address, I love yours, its going to be the layout ill copy. I was gna buy a 140 barbie dream house its the theme of her 6th bday. I live in relatives old house and there's is wood paint fabric everysupply needed we decided were making one for no money but hrs in backyard. I found this site on Google search and I'm using this exact plan thank you. I will make mid deck a bedroom though. If I see email ill send finish result

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your house is great! I was planning on making a house for my daughters 6th birthday and came across yours on pintrest. Can you please tell me what you used for siding on the outside of the house. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to wood and I've been trying to figure it out on my own. But no success. I would really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete